(Tucson, AZ) Behind a strong performance from starting pitcher Garrett Irvin and an explosive offensive performance, the Arizona Wildcats (1-0) collected a 12-7 Opening Night victory over the visiting Albany Great Danes (0-1) on Friday night.
The win moves Arizona’s nation-best win streak to 11 games, and gives them 17 consecutive home opener victories.
Irvin, a junior college transfer making his first appearance at Arizona, worked 5.0 innings and struck out seven batters while earning the win.
The offense jumped on Albany early and often, scoring six runs across the first two frames. The top three batters in the Wildcats lineup – junior Donta Williams, sophomore Austin Wells, and junior Matthew Dyer – combined to go 8-for-12 with six runs scored, three doubles, one home run, and eight of Arizona’s 11 RBI.
Top Offensive Performances
- CF Donta Williams: 3-for-4, 3 R, 2B, 3 RBI
- C Austin Wells: 3-for-4, 2 R, 2 2B, HR, 4 RBI, BB
- LF Matthew Dyer: 3-for-5, 1 R, 2B, RBI
- RF Ryan Holgate: 2-for-3, 3 R, HR, RBI, BB
Number of the Night
- The Wildcats pitching staff combined to strike out, 14 Albany batters, topping their 2019 season-high strikeout mark of 12 (Apr. 7 vs. Washington.
- Press Release courtesy of Arizona Communication Services